Personal SOAR Report
The peak experience is the psychological concept, which defines the maximum point of individual activities fully satisfying the need for self-actualization and self-realization in the society (Morgan, 2012). The analysis of the peak experience allows tracing personal patterns of behavior, communicative models, and other peculiar features, which reflect the individuality and personality. This paper is going to discuss the peak experience of my participation within an organization, aiming at the introduction of the gender quota in the employment. It was a difficult task since it called for numerous organizational changes, innovation management, risk management, budget estimation, and qualitative shifts in the whole composition of the organization. I found my role in the promotion of the gender equality in the working environment, establishment of tolerant and loyal attitudes to social and individual diversities, and acceptance of the ethics of fairness and justice at the working place. The analysis of my strengths, opportunities, aspirations, and results helps me to ascertain the efficiency of my performance and provides clues for its improvement in future tasks.
1) Communication. To my mind, I was opening up the possibilities and expressing myself clearly. In fact, the introduction of the gender quota in the organization is the important decision, which may cause different opinions and attitudes from the employees. For example, it is important to be ready to encounter some misunderstanding, confusion, opposition, denial, and frustration. Therefore, the appropriate communication is the key to success in introducing this innovation. I realized my task in explaining the importance of this decision, persuading others in its advantages and benefits, and demonstrating the effective global practices from other organization following this strategy. Thus, I suppose that communication is a prominent strength in this situation.
The relevant communication is important for others as well as the collective discussions and explanations. It allows others to understand the significance of the proposed decision and benefits of its implementation. Moreover, through the communication, it became possible to listen to the alternative opinions, evaluate different points of view, and come up to the common conclusions (Hackman & Johnson, 2013). In this case, the communication also contributes highly to the appropriate planning, managing, problem-solving and decision-making processes within the organization.
2) Humanistic approach. The humanistic approach presupposes tolerant attitudes to the society, environment, and each individual in particular. It promotes the ideas of non-violence, justice, equality, and respect to human personality (Schneider, Pierson, & Bugental, 2014). I regard following the humanistic approach as strength as it has helped me to act confidently and demonstrate the persuasive and determined attitude to the proposed innovation. As a result, I could influence the decisions of others and explain them the benefits of the new decision. Besides, following the humanistic approach allowed me to clearly express myself and contribute to the establishment of the tolerant, loyal, and respectful attitudes to all employees even despite some social diversities.
The humanistic approach is also beneficial for others as it dwells on the ideas of support, collaboration, mutual respect, and help in the working environment (Schneider, Pierson, & Bugental, 2014). Accepting this approach is a significant step to the establishment of the gender equality and justice at the workplace. It also facilitates the process of work organization because it emphasizes the importance of creating comfortable conditions for each employee and considering all opinions during the meetings and collective discussions. Thus, I surmise that this strength is of great importance for the innovation management and leadership.
3) Critical thinking and reflections. In my opinion, it is important to demonstrate the critical evaluation of each decision, especially in the leadership context. Since the leadership opinions influence highly the working performance and results of the whole organization, they should be thoroughly assessed and thought out. The ability to apply critical thinking is significant for the others as it allows comparing different views, criticizing the proposed solutions, and seeking proofs for the reliability of the suggested decisions (Jenkins & Cutchens, 2011). Besides, the critical thinking benefits highly the leadership process since it allows avoiding mistakes in the decision-making process.
The opportunities arose from the context of the situation and resulted in new possibilities to learn about gender corporate quotas and their influence on the organizational and working processes. In this light, the main opportunities allowed me to gain new working experience in diverse environment and coping with individual and social differences.
1) Descriptive representation. Descriptive representation presupposes the equality of number of male and female leadership and their equal roles in the managing, leading, and decision-making processes (Piscopo, 2011). The awareness of the descriptive representation allows establishing the favorable working atmosphere, reducing the scopes of discrimination, and following ethical standards and norms aimed at the protection of human rights. Apparently, the opportunity of the descriptive representation encounters significant challenges connected with the resistance to social opinions, suspicious treatment of the innovation, demand in the organization changes, necessity to introduce trainings and workshops for new employees, and changes in organizational ethical code and standards (Piscopo, 2011). However, the above-mentioned challenges can be overcome with the help of thorough discussion, motivation, and adoption of trial periods for the innovation strategy.
Additionally, the opportunity requires changes in the organizational roles and demonstrating open attitude to the innovations. In order to adopt the change, there will be the need for providing the course of trainings and workshops for the employees, redistributing the working roles, and accepting new employees according to the recent requirements and expectations.
2) Role model effect. The introduction of the gender corporate quota creates the opportunity of the role model effect, which aims at inspiring employees to perform better through the example of the effective female leadership and management (McIntyre et al., 2011). It means that the introduction of gender quotas provides the opportunity to involve more women into the employment and reveal their career potential and possibilities. Obviously, this strategy creates big opportunities for the increase of working motivation and performance as well as eradication of prejudices and stereotypes in working surroundings.
The role model effect will influence the existed organizational roles and provide new attitude to the male and female leadership. The main aim of this opportunity is to emphasize the equality of men and women in the working process and create space for the equal realization (McIntyre et al., 2011). The potential challenges include the insufficiency of qualified and professional female employees, personal unacceptance of new roles, and absence of infrastructure and regulations to introduce the innovation. However, at the same time, this opportunity allows changing the existed harmful gender stereotypes and contributes to the reduction of work-related discrimination and unacceptance of diverse opinions.
3) Positive Externalities. The introduction of corporate gender quota allows making the process of hiring and interviewing more effective by providing new selection criteria (Galunic, Ertug, & Gargiulo, 2012). It is also a good way to increase the qualifications and professional skills of the leaders and employees by establishing strict norms of candidates’ review and employment. Therefore, this opportunity will result in the increased productivity of working performance and raised awareness of the gender issues at the workplace.
Considering the above-mentioned opportunities, I can outline the aspirations connected with my role and duties in that specific situation. To start with, I aspire to gain more profound knowledge in gender questions in order to address the situation properly and relevantly. The acquisition of professional knowledge and skills will allow me to become more persuasive and confident in my duties as well as more motivated in introducing the innovation in practice. Besides, having professional competence will allow me to make more relevant conclusions about the topic and promote their implementation at the workplace.
Secondly, I would aspire to create the platform for the collaborative learning to be able to discuss various opinions, explain basics of the innovation, and reach the common conclusion in its implementation in the working environment. The collaborative learning will enable me to increase my competence in this question, improve my communicative skills, and motivate others for the changes (Hackman & Johnson, 2013). It is also a good solution for everyone in terms of expressing individual opinions, sharing experience, and learning through mistakes and failures. Therefore, I believe that collaborative learning will increase my leadership strengths and promote the implementation of the potential opportunities.
Thirdly, I aspire to reach the implementation of the humanistic approach at work regarding all aspects of working and organizational environment. To start with, it should help to eradicate the workplace discrimination and harassments as well as to promote non-violent, ethical, and tolerant attitudes to all diversities. This strategy will help to create comfortable working conditions and atmosphere at workplace and empower the employees to demonstrate high working achievements and results (Schneider, Pierson, & Bugental, 2014). Moreover, the humanistic approach should also consider the opportunities for the ecologically safe production and usage of the resources in the working process (Schneider, Pierson, & Bugental, 2014). I believe that the focus on the environmental protection is another important decision, which should be implemented within the organization. As a result, the implementation of the humanistic approach as the ethics of the organization will enable conscious and justified usage of the resources and formation of the friendly environment at workplace. This aspiration will allow me to gain new leadership experience and provide with the arguments regarding the importance of the proposed innovation.
Another aspiration is the increase of self-motivation. The motivation is a driving force of every working environment, which strongly defines the productivity and efficiency of the working performance. The issue of motivation remains vital in relation to all aspects of the organizational work. However, I regard it to be of paramount importance for the leadership, which is responsible for encouraging others and providing incentives for effective job performance.
The metaphor for my leadership is the image of the body. It comprises of different elements, parts, and components different in their shapes, sizes, and functions. However, all of them are equally important for the common welfare and health.
Firstly, the results of my aspirations presuppose positive effect for the organizational structure and introduce valuable innovations, which will ameliorate the ethics and productivity of the working process. The task of my leadership does not presuppose the imposition of my opinions and views on other employees. Instead, I would like to explain the benefits and advantages of the suggested decision and allow others to come to the same conclusion in the process of collaborative learning, cooperative discussions, and working. The explanation of the benefits of the corporate gender quota is the most important task of leadership in this case, which demonstrates the respect towards the opinions of others and clarifies the importance of the proposed innovation. Therefore, I suppose that the result of my leadership will be a conscious and determined acceptance of the innovation and common agreement upon its strong importance.
Secondly, I expect my aspirations to lead to the decrease of the discrimination at the workplace through the acceptance of the humanistic approach and ethics of non-violence and tolerance. Currently, the sphere of working environment still involves numerous cases of injustice and unfair treatment of the individual diversities. I hope that my leadership and ideas will influence this situation and lead to the reduction of discrimination at the workplace and establishment of positive treatment of the diversities. This mission can be achieved through the improvement of my leadership strengths and proper addressing to the existed aspirations.
Thirdly, another expected result is the increase of female employment and empowerment of women in the working surroundings. The politics of corporate gender quota and empowerment of female participation at the workplace should positively affect the number of female workers and introduce new requirements and criteria in the selection process. Moreover, the implementation of female empowerment policies will help to increase the qualifications and competences of women and allow them to actualize themselves in the working sphere. It is also suggested that the positive examples of female leadership and management will create new space for women to use the former in the professional career and contribute to the success of the working performance. In its turn, the increased number of the female workers is supposed to influence the productivity and efficacy of the working process in a positive way.
Finally, I suppose that the introduction of innovation and leadership style will allow reorganizing the structure of the organization so that it can perform with the maximum efficiency and fruitfulness. It can be achieved through the active participation of employees in the decision-making, planning, and problem-solving processes, contribution to the common discussions and meetings, critical evaluation of new policies and tendencies, increased attention to the ethics and respect, changes in the proportion of employees, and raised collaboration and interaction between the workers. The implementation of the innovation calls for the collective efforts and agreement of all employees, meaning that the whole organization should share the same values and preferences. In this light, I hope that my leadership style will be able to provide sufficient motivation and encouragement for the others in order to accept the innovation and promote its implementation in practice.
Personal assessment of individual strengths, opportunities, aspirations, and results allows outlining the tasks, directions, and objectives of my leadership style and focusing on its strong aspects. The analysis witnesses to the availability of prominent possibilities and capacities, which can contribute to the increase in working productivity and efficiency. I hope that this reflection will help to reach the set objectives and promote the implementation of the suggested innovation for the sake of common welfare and organizational fruitfulness.