How to Respond to a Discussion Board
Online discussion post is a universal and essential experience for everybody who has undertaken online studying. Doesn’t matter if you are about to finish your course or going to start a first online lesson, you will become familiar with such a phenomenon as a discussion board.
There are several reasons why we consider it to be advantageous and effective. First, you have a possibility to be aware of the course loading and tick off the assignments that you have already completed. On the contrary, you can also become acquainted with your instructor and people studying with you. Additionally, you can talk over various topics concerning covered material or clear up things that you do not understand. What is more, you have a perfect opportunity to share some information and be helpful for others.
Well, why not write a stunning posting to shine up to your online class and break the ice.
Useful Ideas of Creating a Discussion Posting:
- Define the aim of the discussion posting
- Get ready
- Get to know what is exactly stated in posting directions
- Consider what point would you like to develop
- Find the appropriate supporting arguments
- Work on your response
- Post on schedule
Step 1: Define the aim of the discussion posting
In real life, professor and students discuss the object of studying and go deep into it. Virtual world discussion posts are somehow identical, but communication is realized through technical means. The way you write forms the opinion about you. Therefore, whenever you write something, think about the language and tone you use. It is also beneficial to respond to others’ postings, showing that you are not indifferent and creating a comfortable environment for the ideas exchange.
Step 2: Get ready
Do not write a word if you do not keep abreast of the issue. Once a person is not aware of the course assignments and research, it could be easily noticed and the information in his or her postings seems not to be that reputable and trustworthy.
Step 3: Get to know what is exactly stated in posting directions
Giving an answer to some question, clarify what is exactly asked. Do not be in a hurry and take your time to sift through the question. At times, a personal response may be required. In other cases, you should reformulate the ideas from reading and express your thoughts to show the way you perceive it.
It may come in handy to grasp the discussion touching the assignment you are going to do. Find out more about what your group mates think on a certain topic or what difficulties they have faced. It will help you to get prepared to the further task and to take into account pitfalls and some tips from people studying with you.
Step 4: Consider what point you would like to develop
So, what is a concrete concept that you would like to share with your professor and classmates? It is better to narrow down the topic and check one more time if it is well-timed and pointful. The type "A+" posting could be your tool to link the theories and real-life experience. Once you do not understand something, do not doubt to ask your professor for an additional explanation just by sending an e-mail.
Step 5: Find appropriate supporting arguments
Making any point, you should support it with concrete and straightforward facts. You can do it with the help of materials from news, course book, researches of distinguished scholars, and even first-hand experience. Including such details in your post will be a sign of your deep and profound knowledge in the sphere. Gather all the points and have them ready at hand not to go off the track while composing a post.
Be careful citing other authors. That is why check the rules before you make references. Sure, it is not a research paper, but it matters in discussion posting as well. It is considered to be plagiarism whenever you do not mention an author and use some his or her thoughts. The necessary points to put forward are the title, date, and the author’s name. Such websites as OttoBib.com and BibMe.org can be of assistance for your citations.
Step 6: Work on your response
- APA format discussion board post. The content of the post matters, but the way it looks is also decisive. Pay attention to formatting using different tools offered in your course. Spellchecker is the first efficacious thing you should apply to the written piece. Then, go on with preview tool and bullets.
- If you do not feel comfortable operating with these tools, you can easily refer to text editor or word processing software as Microsoft Word instead.
- Act in accordance with the discussion posting rules. Having received such a task to respond to the question, you should do your best to complete it nicely. Choose some posting that you really like and have what to add to. It should evoke some thoughts or be potentially informative.
- Read the rules of the discussion, they should be definitely presented in course introduction.
- Phrases like “Good idea” are clichés and do not express your personal view of the issue. It is just too short to contain any valuable information. Details are an integral element of each single posting.
- You should not be afraid to disagree if you share an opposite opinion. Do not be rude and explain your position.
Step 7: Post on schedule
It is awful when your discussion post is at the bottom among the last ones. What else can have such a bad influence on your reputation? Posting timely is something that should become your habit.
We hope these ideas will help you to cope with discussion board. Feel free to contact our team of writers in case you do not know how to answer a discussion questions or have any other difficulties with something.